Search This Blog


36th Annual Central Gardens Home and Garden Tour
Sunday, September 9, 2012

The 36th annual Central Gardens Home and Garden Tour will take place on Sunday, September 9 from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. The tour will feature six houses which were photographed in 1912 by the well-known Gravure Illustration Company of Chicago for the Art Work of Memphis. This 100-year-old nine volume architectural portfolio features 41 houses in the Central Gardens Historic District, more houses than were photographed in any other Memphis neighborhood.

The beautiful original Gravure photos of all of the Central Gardens houses have been photographed and enlarged by Walpole Photo. These framed photos, courtesy of 1910 Frame Works and Café 1912, will be exhibited at Askew Nixon Ferguson, Architects, beginning with an opening reception on Friday, August 17 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The photos will also be exhibited during the tour in the ballroom of the University Club. In the 1920s, the University Club bought a house on Central Avenue that became their current club house; the original house is also pictured in the Gravure portfolio.

The houses on tour are:

267 South Belvedere Boulevard, 1909
Original Owner: H. T. Winkelman
Built by one of the developers of Belvedere, this Mission style residence was shown to prospective homeowners. Charles Boyle, the original homeowner, and his brother Edward financed the creation of Belvedere Boulevard and then gave it to the city.

1649 Central Avenue, 1905
Original Owner: R. P. Cary
The southern view from Rozelle Street is quite something due to the presence of this cool Colonial Revival style house designed by Jones and Furbringer, architects. The elegant house features two story Ionic columns and a second floor bow front balcony.

1449 Harbert Avenue, 1912
Original Owner: A. Y. Allen
On the southwest corner of Harbert and Melrose, this handsome Arts & Crafts brick and stucco house with its notable front and side porches commands attention. It is furnished with equally fine Arts & Crafts collectibles.

1542 Harbert Avenue, 1909
Original Owner: L T. Kavanaugh
This is one of architect Neander Woods best houses. In Memphis, An Architectural Guide, the authors wrote, “The flat stone arches over the triple windows have wiggly keystones, and the upper floor is given a half-timber pattern that knits the whole together magically.”

1962 Peabody Avenue, 1909
Original Owner: E. H. Crump
The politically powerful E. H. “Boss” Crump lived here from 1909 until his death in 1954. The two story house is wood fame with a red brick veneer, laid in stretcher bond, with stone trim. The Doric columns support the Greek Revival style front porch.

1555 Vinton Avenue, 1912
Original Owner: Mrs. Jennie Casey
Central Gardens is known for its porte cocheres, and this is one of the finest. The stone and stucco house with its Arts & Crafts style windows and diagonal porte cochere may have been one of the last local houses designed by architect Neander Woods before he moved to New York City in 1912.

For ticket information go to or call Elise Frick at 901-276-5527.